Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Detroit Jazz Festival

 A dream just came true! I sang with some BAAAAAAAD cats in a JAZZ FESTIVAL...in my favorite US city! Kurt Elling and Dee Dee Bridgewater, a BIG BAND, in DETROIT!!!!

Yall, I've already been feeling bored and music-less in the Cultural Siberia that is LA, no hub or jazz scene, and the overrated-ness of...EVERYTHING. There is an invisible man made socio-economic hierachy and obsession with fame and celebrity that is BOUGHT. and somehow I FORGOT that I am a talented shining star living out there. So diving into  this glorious music and being surrounded by the work ethic of these JAZZ legends and keeping up and honestly, being used by God and singing and shining at 100% along with these other shiny musicians.....GOSH! I remember that I, too, am GREAT. For the first time, I feel WORTHY. I feel MORE than ABLE. There is an ease to what I finally understand as greatness. I know that the amount of energy and work I put in is more than GOOD enough.....IS THIS WHAT CONFIDENCE FEELS LIKE???

At the hotel, I know there were jazz legends and geniuses milling around and in the elevators, people who are legit famous because of their discography and sheer talent. And for the first time, I felt.....GROUNDED and not thrown of my center because of it. I saw them as human beings, I saw myself as a human being, and felt the connectivity of all of us. No one greater or worse.....I think I got a glimpse of heaven on earth! Of course I experienced that in DETROIT....

Detroit has such a sooooouuuuulllll about it that isn't in your face but so...RICH. It's rich and so authentic and even overlooked if you're truly not present. It's like effortless, like Paris. There's a grime like NYC but a downhome-iness that only the midwest can offer. 

Right now, my vision has manifested, I am in a "condo on the water" or a highrise hotel with the Detroit river view- overlooking Windsor Canada. Just feeling full and reeling with the excitement of singing and hanging with jazz musicians in the hotel lobby and chatting it up with musical greats like its nothing! As my heart grows fonder and fonder for the midwest, it grows colder for LA and I want to work on that. I realize the fondness is an internal feeling. 

How can I keep this inside and not have my external circumstances shake the peace and chill and overabundant love I feel right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment